Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I set a manual/static IP address for my Router?

I'm having wireless printing problems with my HP Photosmart C4380 All-in-One and my laptops, and HP attempted to fix the problem over the phone, but to no avail. The laptops will wirelessly print fine, but then a few days later I am told they can no longer print wirelessly. I've had to change ports, uninstall/reinstall the software, but the issue persists. So, they suggested the problem might be fixed if I set manual IP addresses, since the problem seems to be that when the dynamic IP address changes, a couple of computers are no longer recognizing it. I have a Linksys router. Which IP address am I supposed to manually change? The Router? The printer? How do I do whichever one will fix this issue?How do I set a manual/static IP address for my Router?
The router already has a static ip address, so the only thing they could have possibly meant was the printer. The link below should help you set an ip address for your printer.How do I set a manual/static IP address for my Router?
If you look in your router, there should be a place where you can assign an static IP to the MAC address of the printer. You leave the printer set on DHCP, so it will ask the router for its address each time it boots. Because the address is static in the router, the router will always give the same address back to the printer.



Or...

If you were to set up the printer with a static IP address, ech time it boots, rather than ask the router for an address, it would inform that router that it will be using the static IP address. Normally a router, when it gives out an address, will wait a week before it will allow anyone else to have that address, so it should have the address available to reuse for printer each time it boots.



So you can set the address in either one.How do I set a manual/static IP address for my Router?
The printer address should be static. Set it about 2 numbers above the highest dhcp number on the router. Make sure it does not conflict with the router address.How do I set a manual/static IP address for my Router?
Your router already has a static IP address. You need to set a static IP address for the printer or the computer the printer is connected to. If the printer is connected to the router through a print server the you need to set a static IP address for the print server.

No comments:

Post a Comment