Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Changing port for Remote Desktop?

I wanna connect multiple computers in one household so that I can remote desktop into them. My idea is to have my home router redirect certain ports to certain computers... How can I tell the computer that's outside the network to use a certain port to connect? I plan on using Windows computers running the regular Remote Desktop application to connect and I already know how to set up my router and computers to receive the connections, but how do I change the outgoing port on the computer I'm using to connect? I wanna set things up so that I don't have to install anything on somebody else's computer. I like the idea of being able to connect without having to change the computer I'm on drastically. Changing a few settings? No problem. Installing a special remote desktop app? I'd rather not.Changing port for Remote Desktop?
To connect to a different port (other than the default) add a colon after the address and then the port number.



eg:

myhomeaddress.com:4000



that will tell the application to connect to the port number 4000. This is the case for most (but not all) applications to indicate a port number other than the default;

No comments:

Post a Comment