Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How can I play StarCraft on battle.net with 2 computers behind a router at the same time?

When both computers try and join the same game they lag tremendously until one leaves (it's not bandwidth, trust me). Either one of us can play just fine, but we can't at the same time. I found a registry fix that was supposed to work (involving the %26quot;Game Data Port%26quot; key in the registry to change one of the computers port utilization so that they weren't using the same port, and then forwarding the corresponding ports to the right computers in the router), but it didn't end up working (has anyone tried this with any luck?). I heard some talk of proxies, but couldn't find any how-to's on it. I know Warcraft3 lets you change ports in-game, but starcraft isnt so easy. I use a WRT54G and tried using %26quot;Tomato%26quot; firmware rather than the linksys firmware to no avail. I used to play with my old roommate on his DLink Wireless N Gaming Router and it worked flawlessly, so perhaps the router needs to be set up just right (yes ive also tried forwarding 6112 to one)... anyone get this to work for them?How can I play StarCraft on battle.net with 2 computers behind a router at the same time?
When I was in college in 1998-2003, you were able to play behind the same router. Given that Battle.net was in its infancy stages along with the two main games I played Starcraft and Diablo, there were not a lot of restrictions. Now that Starcraft 2 is on its way, my buddy and I tried to reconfigure Starcraft like we did 6 years ago. Connecting 2 computers behind the same router no longer works. Battle.net does not allow proxy servers, because everything now is all external IP's linked to other external IP addresses. Go buy Starcraft for under $20. The amount of time you're spending on figuring out a workaround is costing you more than $20! It's all about opportunity cost.How can I play StarCraft on battle.net with 2 computers behind a router at the same time?
search google for your answerHow can I play StarCraft on battle.net with 2 computers behind a router at the same time?
Do not need the ports open to play a single player then you shouldn't need them at all. So you would remove them. If on the other hand you do need them then you have a routing problem in the 2 player scenario as you are only specifying the route to one machine. In this case the traffic is presumed to look the same be it yours or your dads. You don't want his data getting sent to you.
The issue appears to me to be one of two things. Either your just don't get enough bandwidth or your router is getting confused.
You may even try turning off any firewall features like SPI.
The 514 is an older and pretty basic model. You might try a newer router. I really like my DGL - 4300. There are other nice new routers that are a little cheaper. the Dir-625 is pretty good too.
If it is a lack of bandwidth then the router is not going to help. You may try speedtest.net to see what kind of response (ping and upload/download speed) you get. The lag is generally caused by higher latency which is measured as a ping. The upload can also be a big factor as games tend to run prettty evenly up and down but internet connections are typically faster down than up. I would say offhand that you want 325+ as your upload speed if you are getting 100-200 that is likely the issue. If your ping is over 70 to a good nearby server that is also likely a playability issue with your connection.
Record your speedtest.net numbers to a couple servers. Then fire up a game of starcraft on the other computer and run speedtest again to get an idea how much the game is affecting the second computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment