Thursday, June 2, 2011

Problem with forwarding ports for uTorrent 1.8 using a SpeedTouch 536 v6 router?

I'm aware that this question may be a bit confusing, but I'll do my best to make it clear enough.



So, when using uTorrent 1.7.7, I had no problems with ports after performing port forwarding - everything was opened and there was that green icon at the bottom of uTorrent saying that everything was fine.



Unfortunately, straight after the upgrade to uTorrent 1.8, I've started receiving this red icon with the exclamation mark in it. I asked a question at the uTorrent's forum about it and here I'd like to show you the mst important information I provided in the question:



%26quot;Let's start with the most important information:



My OS: Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.



Internet Connection: Tele2 1Mb/s, router Thomson SpeedTouch 536 v6.



Firewall: Only the Windows XP one.



Anti-Virus: Avast! 4 Home Edition.



Anti-Spyware, malware and so on: SpyBot Search%26amp;Destroy, Ad-Aware 2008 7.10.10 Pro



uTorrent's settings are as follows:



1. In the Connections tab: Everything except for adding uTorrent to the firewall's exceptions is unchecked



2. The Global Upload Limit in the Connection Settings is set to 92 and the download limit is set to 0 (these settings have been adjusted automatically after performing the connection speed test and setting the connection speed to 1Mb/s).%26quot;.



I also said there that I was changing the ports in the router and uTorrent a couple of times, upgraded from stable uTorrent 1.8 to uTorrent 1.8.1 Beta Build 11962, then reversed back to the stable version as there was no difference after installing the build one, added the TCP and UPD port (55827) to the Windows' firewall (uTorrent is also listed in the exceptions list) and that none of these things solved the problem. I also said that after the installation of uTorrent 1.8, I also installed the tunneling %26quot;IPv6/Terendo%26quot; support (which didn't help anyway) and that after deleting uTorrent 1.8 and cleaning the registries with CCleaner, the option to install %26quot;IPv6/Terendo%26quot; support was once again available.



As it is also important, I said there that there are two computers in my home network, from which my has a static IP address assigned by me and the other one has its IP assigned by DHCP.



Upon the above, I was first advised to enable only the UPnP's %26quot;net.upnp_tcp_only%26quot; in the %26quot;Advanced' tab of uTorrent. I was also told to relaunch the router for this action to take the effect. I relaunched the router from its IE interface, so that I didn't have to play with the button at its rear (I also guess it works just the same) This advice, however did not help. Later, I was told to specify what is the range of DHCP and what IP I had assigned to my computer.



At first, I said that I didn't even know how to find that range even if I wanted to. After not much time, however, I found out that the range spans from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 . The router's IP is 192.168.1.254 and the IP that I had assigned to my computer is 192.168.1.200 . I was surprised upon the range, because:



1. As far as I know, the IP that I assign to my computer should be outside the DHCP range.



2. The IP address that I had assigned to my computer works, for instance, for eMule.



I've also noticed that the other computer's IP changes each time the router gets relaunched (which doesn't happen very often).

--------------------------------------?br>


I would be grateful if anyone could contribute their help to the all above.



Besides everything I mentioned that was said at the uTorrent forum, I also have a question referring to the DHCP Pool.



Regarding the fact that there is only one computer in my home network that obtains its IP address from the DHCP Pool, I guess it doesn't need to be so wide. Besidwes, I can't set my Computer's IP as, for example, 192.168.1.255, because then Windows says that:



%26quot;The combination of the IP address and the subnet mask is incorrect. All bits in the part of the IP address which is the host's address are set to 1. Type in the right combination of the IP address and the subnet mask%26quot;.



That's why I've thought of lowering it a bit. Setting it, for instance, from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.199 and thus leave the one for my computer with 200 that is set already.



The manuals I have found on the Internet direct as follows:



%26quot;4 Under DHCP Pools click:

饜€?Add if you want to add a new DCHP pool.

饜€?Edit if you want to edit an existing DHCP pool.

饜€?Delete if you want to delete an existing DHCP pool.

This link will only be shown if there are more than one DHCP

pools.%26quot;



In my case, however, there is no %26quot;Edit%26quot; option for the existing DHCP Pool.



If anyone knew how to fix also this problem, I would really be gratefulProblem with forwarding ports for uTorrent 1.8 using a SpeedTouch 536 v6 router?
ummm.. theres no way Im reading through all that.



port forwarding is pretty simple



http://www.portforward.com has a guide for just about every model



You'll get more responses if you keep your questions shorter

No comments:

Post a Comment