Thursday, June 2, 2011

BitTorrent Question:Traffic throttling?

For months I have been able to torrent with no problem at high speeds with my port opened.



However, recently (or suddenly) my download speed plunged to unprecedented levels. ( Constantly %26lt; 10kb/s as compared to before: up to 1200 kb/s )



The problems are:



1) There are many seeders.

2) My settings have not been changed (at all) whatsoever.

3) Trying different torrents have offered no remedy.



I am somewhat convinced and justified to believe that my ISP is playing dirty.



I tried a few measures but to no avail:



1) Changing port.

2) Forced encryption.



And yes, how can I determine in what way are they throttling BT traffic? Eg. Blanket throttling on all encrypted traffic / specific ip throttling etcetra



I am using BitComet.



Thanks =)BitTorrent Question:Traffic throttling?
What ISP are you using?



Quite a few ISP's are naughty and LLU you without permission. My ISP Eclipse will LLU you to Tiscali if Tiscali enable your exchange. I've noticed a big drop in speeds since they did this to me.



What I would then do is signup to a free hitnews trial. http://member.hitnews.eu/signup.php?lang

t's only a 3 day trial, but it's 100% free and requires no payment info. This should allow you to max out your connection, see how it varies throughout the day. It should give you a pretty good idea of how much traffic shaping your ISP is subjecting you to.



Many ISP's throttle less at night when demand is less. See how it is early in the morning. I did a few hitnews trials (1 per email address) and I was able to max out my 8meg ADSLmax connection to just over 1000KB/s, but only gone 2AM in the morning.



You can use a usenet client like grabbit and http://www.nzbindex.nl/ to find things to download.



Then run a few speedtests like http://www.speedtest.net/ Often ISP's will allow the speedtests to run at full speed to suggest the ISP is faster than it actually is.





I know mine throttle on content. I used to be able to double my speeds on grabbit by encrypting all traffic with SSL and using port 995 but even that doesn't work anymore.BitTorrent Question:Traffic throttling?
The first thing to do is read your terms and conditions, and any fair use policy. Do they say anything like you should not use torrents? does a fair use policy cap downloads?



Once you start downloading torrents it is easy to download huge amounts. Some ISPs include uploads in any allowances.



It could be that they are throttling *ALL* your traffic. You would not see it the same on web browsing as that does not need bandwidth the same, similarly email.



Other than that there are quite sophistcated methods of monitoring traffic avaiulable to ISPs.BitTorrent Question:Traffic throttling?
Like the other answer said, you will have to checkt he terms and conditions



All isps in the uk throttle speeds apart from



sky broadband

o2 broadband

be broadband

Entanet resellers (fast.co.uk , ukfsn and so on)



So if your are not with one of them then the isp is likely throttling.
  • win32 fujacks ad virus
  • guy myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment